The residents of West Urbana welcome you to our quiet, well-maintained residential neighborhood. We look forward to having you as a neighbor!

To ensure WUNA remains a great place to live, there are quality-of-life ordinances in our neighborhood. We’ve listed some of them here as a reference, but the official list is on the city website.


Parking is prohibited:

  • on the street weeknights (3 a.m. to 3 p.m.) without a parking sticker
  • on front or back yards
  • on the apron (the part of the driveway between the sidewalk and the street)
  • across a sidewalk

Urbana prohibits weeknight parking on the street without a sticker from the City of Urbana Finance Department, 400 South Vine Street. Call 217-384-2368 for more information. Parking is permitted only on an approved surface: a paved lot or driveway or, in some cases, a gravel driveway. Violations of parking restrictions can result in serious fines. After repeated violations, a driver’s license may be revoked. To report a violation, call Parking Enforcement at 217-384-2320. For current fines, call the City’s Finance Department at 217-384-2345.


Urbana ordinance prohibits noxious and injurious plants, plants that overhang the sidewalk, or grass or weeds over 8 inches high.

You and your landlord should have an agreement as to who will maintain your yard. Failure to observe the vegetation ordinance can result in citations and/or fines of up to $500. To report a violation, call the city Environmental Control Officer at 217-384-2416.


Urbana’s noise ordinance is in effect 24 hours a day.

We all like our quiet. Urbana’s noise ordinance defines excessive noise as whatever can be heard outside of your four walls. Regardless of the time of day or night, you may file a complaint about a noisy neighbor by calling the police at 333-8911 (Metcad non-emergency).

For further information or follow-up, call 217-384-2320. For the first offense, police will issue a warning. After subsequent complaints, offenders will be subject to a fine of up to $500.


Garbage must be stored in closed containers. It may not include yard waste. The cans may be placed curbside after 6 p.m. the night before pickup. They must be removed by 10 a.m. on the day after pickup.

Urbana does NOT have municipal garbage collection. If your landlord has not arranged for garbage collection, it is your responsibility to hire a private collector. Check the yellow pages under “Garbage & Rubbish Collection.” Curbside collection on your block is allowed on_________ only; the day for backside collection varies. Your hauler or landlord will tell you what day of the week your trash will be picked up. Garbage must be disposed of in a garbage container with a secured lid. Please do not overfill containers as this attracts rodents and can litter the area especially on windy days. You cannot leave it in plastic bags. If you do not have enough garbage cans, contact your landlord. If your landlord does not cooperate, contact Urbana’s Building Safety Division at 217-384-2436 to file a complaint.


Recycling bins may be placed curbside after 6 p.m. the night before pickup. They must be removed by 10 a.m. on the day after pickup.

Urbana has a municipal recycling program. City pickup of recyclables is not necessarily on the same day as your garbage pickup. On your block, recycling is scheduled for ____________. The City also picks up yard waste (leaves and clippings) on four specified dates only (2 in spring, 2 in fall). For more information, call 217-384-2342.


The Urbana Zoning Ordinance limits occupancy to no more than 4 unrelated persons per dwelling unit.

If there are too many persons living in your rental unit, both you, the other tenants and your landlord could be held accountable to the City of Urbana to comply with the occupancy law.

To avoid the inconvenience, time and cost of eviction, tenants should make sure their residence is not over-occupied. To report a violation of the zoning ordinance, call 217-384-2444.

General Maintenance

If your landlord is not complying with your requests for maintenance, call the City. West Urbana prides itself on being a lovely neighborhood with easy access to campus. We value our homes and encourage you to do the same. If your landlord is not doing the basic maintenance you have requested, follow up on your conversations with a letter stating your complaints. If you still do not get a response or if you have an emergency that your landlord does not respond to, call Urbana’s Building Safety Division at 384-2436 to file a complaint. Students can contact the Off Campus Community Living office at 217-333-0112 to ask for assistance.

This flyer has been provided by the West Urbana Neighborhood Association. For more information about our group, including how to become a member, visit our website.